Annual Report on Implementation of the UN Strategic Framework for Lebanon
This joint annual UN report summarises progress made in the first year of the implementation of the United Nations Strategic Framework for Lebanon 2017–2020 (UNSF), which was endorsed and signed by the Government of Lebanon on the 4th of October 2016. The report contains a wide range of results achieved by 20 UN entities, as well as a number of identified development trends and challenges.
The United Nations Strategic Framework for Lebanon 2017–2020 (UNSF) outlines the UN’s common vision and the expected UN contribution to support Lebanon’s security, political, human rights and developmental priorities.
Some of the main results for 2017 include:
- Basic health care provided to over half a million people in Lebanon 2017.
- Democratic parliamentary elections prepared in Lebanon, through technical assistance, voter information, and material support.
- Safe water provided to about 1.3 million vulnerable people in Lebanon.
- Police professionalised in 40 municipalities to promote rule of law & ensure equal access to justice for all.
- Food assistance provided to over 1,000,000 persons in need. Zero hunger is the goal.
- National Human Rights Institution (NHRI) established to help Lebanon deliver on human rights obligations.
- Over 100,000 people, thousands of farmers, & hundreds of enterprises empowered to grow businesses & create jobs.
- More than 400,000 children, whereof half are Lebanese, received education.
- 21 Lebanese municipalities improved waste management 2017.